Tall tales and other bad advice at the gun shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Tall tales and other bad advice at the gun shop

Member #
    Liked
    2093 times

Tall tales and other bad advice at the gun shop

"No people in the world ever did achieve their freedom by goody-goody talk and moral suasion: it being immutable law that all revolutions that will succeed must being in blood, whatever may answer afterward."
    Mark Twain

Member #
    Liked
    16094 times
    Another Great Article David. The best advice I can offer any prospective buyer is "Do Your Homework First!" This is true with anything you plan on purchasing, with the advent of of the Internet there is a plethora of information right at your fingertips. I was once told by a young salesmen that "Why would I want to pay extra for the S&W brand when all they were was a copy of the Taurus, and all made in the same factory in Brazil and just stamped either Smith & Wesson or Taurus."
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988, And Proud Of It.

Member #
    Liked
    2790 times
    I just LOVE to ease drop at gun shops. It's fun to hear a clueless seller lying to a clueless buyer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22576 times
    Another good one David.................

Indeed over the years, this old geezer has heard "a ton of tales" at gun shops and gun shows (every once in awhile, there's a little truth hiding in there somewhere). I keep my mouth shut and mostly listen.......occasionally, I'll even act dumb.

It's certainly entertaining and can sometimes be enlightening (about human nature)...................However, way too frequently it's unwise to give credibility to what you hear.

By and large, gun dealers are akin to horse traders......they're a very similar breed of cat.

As RDLouks advises wisely above, "DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST!" (before you spend your money)

Regards All,

Geezer
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2321 times
    Thanks David I enjoyed that.

Here is one for you, the store owner told me I had to plug one of the cylinder holes in a revolver for hunting, he said that is how his is because you can't hunt with more than 5 rounds in a gun.
    Injunbro, 1 old 0311 and WendyZXZ like this.
    Let go of anything that stops you from having everything…DM

Dom

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    19671 times
    Even worse than the lack of knowledge is the poor firearms handling you see at some places.

Watch as they take out a firearm to show someone and don't check to see if it is unloaded. I know if I hand a weapon over to someone for them to check out(not selling but someone visiting the house) I have made sure it is unloaded and opened the action(open the cylinder on a revolver and magazine out and slide locked back if on a semi automatic) before handing it to someone
    Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    22576 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyZXZ View Post
    Even worse than the lack of knowledge is the poor firearms handling you see at some places.

Watch as they take out a firearm to show someone and don't check to see if it is unloaded. I know if I hand a weapon over to someone for them to check out(not selling but someone visiting the house) I have made sure it is unloaded and opened the action(open the cylinder on a revolver and magazine out and slide locked back if on a semi automatic) before handing it to someone
    You're absolutely right Wendy.........you make a very good point!

Regards,

Geezer
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction.

Member #
    Liked
    2790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyZXZ View Post

+1 That drives me NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I make EVERYONE double check when handling a weapon. I had a .357 125gr JHP miss one of my dogs, and go into my floor because of someone (ME) not checking.

Member #
    Liked
    34418 times
    And then there was the half-witted corn-head relative of the gun/bait shop owner:
    Customer: "What gauge is that shotgun?"
    Corn Head: looking @ the tag, "20 gauge" (looks @ a tag on a .22 rifle) "We don't sell anything smaller than these 20 or 22 gauges, they used to be a little 12 gauge around here but no one wants them peashooters anymore!"
    Customer: "Whats that one?" (pointing @ a .30-30 lever action).
    Corn Head: (looking @ tag) "A 30 gauge! Now that's a real mans gun! (the customer was female) You can take down an elephant a mile away w/ that baby... even if you miss!"
    Customer: (now looking @ trout hooks) "Can you really catch a fish on such little hooks?"
    Corn Head: "Oh yes Mam! Very much so! Would you believe a week ago I'd never been fishing? Now I'm like the golf pro!"
    Customer: "Oh, I believe it..."

It ain't just the cow pie heads behind the counter... I was in a shop once when a guy tried to pay for ammo w/ food stamps... he said he was going to eat what he shot so it ought to be ok!
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    19671 times
    Injunbro I would not be surprised to hear that conversation with how some are with their knowledge, or lack of.
    Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links