+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    10378 times

The ten millimeter

After The FBI Miami shootout, the FBI was casting about for something more powerful than the 9 millimeter. What could be more logical than stepping up another millimeter to a more powerful cartridge that was flatter shooting and had more range than the vaunted 45 automatic pistol round? If memory serves me correctly the initial 10 MM 180 grain bullet was reputed to have a muzzle velocity of 1350 feet per second with over 720 pounds muzzle energy, thus outstripping the 357 magnum revolver in power.
    Needless to say, this was quantum leap in power over the 9 millimeter with all the attendant recoil and increased muzzle blast one would expect and the pistol to fire this cartridge had to be large and beefy to handle this much energy, which didnít conceal well. We all know that out of the FBIís disappointment with the 10 millimeter ( recoil) thus grew the 40 caliber S&W, a smaller 9 MM size auto pistol that fires the 40 caliber S&W (Short & Weak) which today has became the law enforcement round of choice in various makes of semi-auto pistols.
    But what about the ten Millimeter? Is it headed for oblivion? Iím thinking it is, although in an auto-pistol for the outdoorsman it does have a lot to offer: More power than a 357 magnum and holds a nine shot magazine with one round in the chamber it gives you a 10 shot powerful semi auto pistol.
    I have been away from the 10 MM for some time now and as I remember the 10 MM factory ammo was loaded down, but perhaps someone on the forum can bring me up to date. The model 1066 pictured was swapped at a gun show however I hung onto the 610 revolver because it can fire either the 10 MM or the shorter 40 S&W round.
    I wonder if any in the forum have any experience or comments on the 10 MM, if so Iíd appreciate your thoughts and as always any photos appreciated but not required.

Member #
    Liked
    7832 times
    I would love to have a 10 MM in a 1911 platform.
    Dan Wesson, Colt, Kimber, Fusion, and I think Les Baer all make them, from 6" to 4".
    As I understand it, keeping the springs fresh is a must.
    I could not bring myself to add another cartridge to reload.
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azmick View Post
    I would love to have a 10 MM in a 1911 platform.
    Dan Wesson, Colt, Kimber, Fusion, and I think Les Baer all make them, from 6" to 4".
    As I understand it, keeping the springs fresh is a must.
    I could not bring myself to add another cartridge to reload.
    If you load 40 S&W you already have the Dies.
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988, And Proud Of It.

Member #
    Liked
    547 times
    I love the 10mm. I currently have only a Glock G20SF in 10 but I'd love to have a 1076 S&W! A Colt Delta Elite would also be nice.
    Do not regret growing older, as it is a privilege denied to many.
    The world would surely be a better place if chickens were able to cross the road without someone questioning their motives!

Member #
    Liked
    93 times

Thumbs up 10mm

Been a fan of the 10 for years. Mostly in the revolver flavor. Semi-autos for the most part cannot stand up to full house loads. Meaning my reloads in this case. I do have a long slide that does just fine with them.

Your 5" MDL 610 is a treasure for sure. Mine has never failed me. I have others in the Ruger flavor as well. This one is half of a 'Buckeye Special' -- with the ever-so hard to locate holster. It is stocked in Ivory--

MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM~http://www.flickr.com/photos/37278746@N07/

WILD FLOWERS DON'T CARE WHERE THEY GROW
    TUSKER

Member #
    Liked
    10378 times
    Tusker, that Javelina long slide is an awesome looking pistol.

Member #
    Liked
    547 times
    Just how long is that barrel on that longslide 1911?
    Do not regret growing older, as it is a privilege denied to many.
    The world would surely be a better place if chickens were able to cross the road without someone questioning their motives!

Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    The Smith 10xx series handle loads the level of the original Norma offerings just fine. Some of the original 10mm Dornaus & Dixon pistols do but others do not because of the uneven quality of the slide & frame investment castings.

This was one of the more interesting and unique pistols manufactured in the last half of the 20th Century.

Bruce

Member #
    Liked
    10378 times
    A Bren-10, that is somewhat rare, is it not? I had forgotten how many different handguns were made for the 10 MM. Tusker's IAI Javelina, and Mick's references of Dan Wesson, Colt, Kimber, Fusion, Les Baer and then the Glock mentioned by Charlie. I went into the S&W site and didn't see any 10 MM's, obviously it wasn't generating much in sales. Which in a way is sad because the "10" offers a bit more power and range over the very popular 45 acp, which might appeal to those who want something close to a 41 mag in an auto pistol. Of course with a revolver you have more punch than a 357 with less recoil than generated out of my model-58, 41 magnum.

Member #
    Liked
    93 times

Post 10's

Was on the B-10 list for a long time but it never happened. The load I use was put forth by IMR powder and takes a front seat to original factory loads. They told me when it was no longer published, and I called them, that it was just too much for most semi- autos, but fine for revolvers. My Long slide with it's 7 inch barrel works fine with it. Clickedy- clack.
    MY FLICKR PHOTOSTREAM~http://www.flickr.com/photos/37278746@N07/

WILD FLOWERS DON'T CARE WHERE THEY GROW
    TUSKER

Links