+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    258 times

I Hate Larry Potterfield......

I've always had a love affair with single shot rifles.

Not the bolt action. But the falling block underlever, Sharps types, Ruger #1's and #3's and most of all the Winchester high & low wall guns.

But for some reason I don't own one. I know, I could get one. But, the cartrages they are chambered in are either too big, too small or obsolete.. nothing really in between that would suit me..

However, In his Midway USA seires, he's rechambered a 1885 winchester low-wall to .357 mag. added vernier tang sights with a front globe sight...

Oh, how I want one.....

I'm thinking .357, because I have a bunch of loaded ammo, and I hardly ever shoot my 27's any more, to the point of thinking about selling them off, ( I prefer the .44 special in handguns)

So ammo problem would be solved.
    And I'm thinking something along the way of a 28 inch octagional barrel, the tang and globe sights, of course while having the barrel rebored and chambered I'd have to have the frame and buttplate sent off to Trunbull for color case hardening. find a few chunks of either French or English walnut...and see what I can come up with..

It's all Larry Potterfields fault,, Sigh....

So anyone else cursed with this single shot sickness?

Member #
    Liked
    1612 times
    Once upon a time I had a Ruger No. 1-V in .223 Remington w/ a 6.5-20 40mm Leupold on top. It shot O.K. with various 55gr. loads. It tended to string shots vertically. One day I shimmed the forearm with the result that stringing was eliminated. Then one day I loaded some Speer 52 gr. hollow point bullets over a nice modest charge of BL-C2. I was shocked. Not five but ten shot groups fired in the scalding hot summer of south Ga. yielded groups of .50 MOA. The barrel would get so hot that I'd lay newspaper over the barrel so that the heat waves coming off the barrel would not affect sighting through the scope. Foolishly I let it go as I simply had no where to shoot the rifle beyond 100 yds. It was a beautiful thing. At that time Ruger really was putting beautiful wood on their rifles, and the single-shots seemed to be stocked in remarkable pieces of walnut.

Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    I have a slight addiction to single shots too (Ruger #1, Browning BPCR, Martini Cadet, T/C Contender and a few other single shot 22's). If you're thinking about making a .357 single shot, you might think about chambering for the .357 Maximum. It's about .3 inch longer than the .357 and another slight step up in power. This would allow you to shoot .38 special, .357's and the .357 Maximum.

I have wondered about taking a Martini action and chambering up for a .32 H&R.
    Last edited by Heathen; 09-04-2011 at 07:22 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    7798 times
    Ruger made a #1 in .357. It was an Az or Ca Highway Patrol, DPS Commemerative as I recall. I also recall them selling relativly cheap.
    +1 on the .357 Max. I have read good things about 180 grain bullets and the Max
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    13117 times
    <STRONG>WARNING!</STRONG> Those beautiful single shot rifles are addicting! I have suffered w/ this affliction for 35 years or so... &amp; while the symptoms may go into regression for short periods of time <EM>there is no cure!</EM> They are, however an awful lot of unadulterated fun! I have one in reach as I sit here &amp; more in the safe. Farquharson, Sharps,&nbsp;Joshua Stevens &amp; Arthur Savage all&nbsp;fed fuel to my desires for years. A 1885 low-wall in .357 max ought to be a real kick to shoot. Buy/build one quick while you can still find it or you'll regret it forever... then give us a range report &amp; share some pictures. It will be a project you'll love.
    Last edited by Injunbro; 09-04-2011 at 03:06 PM.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    What can I say .. I love my Winchester 94 30-30. Went out and shot it today as a matter of fact, I love making milk jugs full of colored water disappear!

I've got plenty of cartridges for the reloading bench, so I think I'm set for the time being. The rounds aren't cheap, but I don't go out and shoot 50 at a whack either, 20 is enough for me.

I do think a 22lr lever action is in my future though, won't be as much fun but it won't cost as much to work on my accuracy.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Links