Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: .40 S&W vs .45 ACP

Member #
    Liked
    3886 times

.40 S&W vs .45 ACP

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...d&action=click

I have a few metal .45 ACP pistols. I have them for competition and collection. I don't think I will ever carry one. The Star PD would be a consideration.

My primary carry options would be:

S&W 4040PD, 6.9", 3.5" barrel, 7+1 rounds, 25.6 oz.

S&W 3913NL, 6.8", 3.5" barrel, 8+1 rounds, 24.0 oz.

Star PD, 7.1", 3.9" barrel, 6+1 rounds, 25.0 oz.

My backup options would be:

Seacamp LWS .32, 6+1 rounds

Remington RM380*, 6+1 rounds

Ruger LCP SS, 7+1 rounds

* I might have to get another one if my wife takes a liking to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtHU-6fe2ZY
    Last edited by legelegel; 01-11-2017 at 12:19 AM.

He who questions much learns much. - Frances Bacon
    There was a time when men were kind and their words were inviting. - Les Miserables
    Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. - Thomas Jefferson
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
    80% of success is showing up. - Woody Allen

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM.
    SPES MEA IN DEO EST.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11901 times
    Currently I am alternating between the Colt DS and the S&W 638-3. I am waiting on a new Colt Cobra and if I like it it may become my primary carry.

When traveling I'll have the SR1911 9mm or the SR1911 lightweight commander .45acp.
    legelegel likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3886 times
    Quote Originally Posted by K22 View Post
    Currently I am alternating between the Colt DS and the S&W 638-3. I am waiting on a new Colt Cobra and if I like it it may become my primary carry.

When traveling I'll have the SR1911 9mm or the SR1911 lightweight commander .45acp.
    Colt Cobra, 2", 6 rounds, 15 oz.

S&W Model 60, 1.875", 5 rounds, 19 oz.

He who questions much learns much. - Frances Bacon
    There was a time when men were kind and their words were inviting. - Les Miserables
    Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. - Thomas Jefferson
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
    80% of success is showing up. - Woody Allen

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM.
    SPES MEA IN DEO EST.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10000 times
    The first concern with a self defense weapon should be how well you shoot it and not what caliber it is. A solid hit with a .380 beats a miss with a 45 every time.
    azmick, Diabloman, FlaRon and 7 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    9136 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy814 View Post
    The first concern with a self defense weapon should be how well you shoot it and not what caliber it is. A solid hit with a .380 beats a miss with a 45 every time.
    Exactly. And a .22 in your pocket is better than the 500 Magnum in the safe.
    If you look at stats, you can find failures in every cartridge ever invented. Bullet placement wins every time, a working knowledge of Gray's Anatomy backed up by using the correct bullet design wins every time, as stated by a fellow member here, (loose quote), ",,, every thing else is discussing how many fairies can dance on the head of a pin".
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    6810 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azmick View Post
    Exactly. And a .22 in your pocket is better than the 500 Magnum in the safe.
    If you look at stats, you can find failures in every cartridge ever invented. Bullet placement wins every time, a working knowledge of Gray's Anatomy backed up by using the correct bullet design wins every time, as stated by a fellow member here, (loose quote), ",,, every thing else is discussing how many fairies can dance on the head of a pin".
    I want to know, how many fairies can dance on the nose of a 45 acp? I betcha it's more than can dance on the head of a pin. I'll go with the 45 acp or colt.

Member #
    Liked
    8184 times
    I had a couple pistols in 40 S&W and the muzzle flip was bad. I traded for another 45 acp & a sixgun clone. I can make accurate hits with full size 45 acp guns. I really like my Rand and M21 Glock, Tommy too!
    Shoot straight, Pardner!

Member #
    Liked
    3256 times
    I simply do not have a carry rotation has such. Yes I have (X) number of handguns that would be suitable employed as such. Under KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) I employ a S&W MP9 and MP9c. Both are set up the same. Sights 10-8 U-notch rear sight, Novak night sight front, triggering system Apex Duty/Carry, and magazine disconnect (Yes I know that it is a feature not universally liked but I'm not asking you to employ it). The MP9c most of the year except during the cold months a MP9. If and when I employ dual carry a S&W M640 as a back up. One other item to mention the magazine OEM floor plates for The MP9 are replaced with 10-8/Apex floor plates. For the MP9c the floor plates are finger extension type.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    15725 times
    I carried a Glock 21 thr last five years on the job in a uniform duty rig and I loved it. It replaced my Glock 23 when the department went to the .45 from the .40 S&W. Once retired the G-21 was sold to my gunsmith and the G-23 became my bedside sometimes carry gun. Smaller and lighter than the G-21 with 13 rounds of 165 gr. HP's. The .40 is "snappy" but controlable for me and I shoot it well enough to continue to qualify yearly for HR-218. All that said I tend to carry my S&W 342 and 642 more often than the Glock and my S&W 386 is finding it's way into the carry rotation more and more.
    "Unapologetically American"

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty".
    Thomas Jefferson

"Blessed be the Lord my strength,which teacheth my hands to war,and my fingers to fight". Psalm 144:1

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T.Larkin

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11901 times
    Last time to the range I did some double taps with the Colt DS

Name:  IMG_1850.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  1.45 MB

4 sets of two from 7 yards.

I had just gotten the DS back from Colt. Trigger is still stiff but should smooth out with more practice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links