Like Tree38Likes

Thread: .40 S&W vs .45 ACP

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6180 times
    Own guns in both caliber for carry.

Big ole' .45acp is a great caliber. A bit of mass to control when you shoot it, it takes some training and practice to get good with these - especially the small compact ones. One of my earliest .45ACP guns for carry was a Star Firestar in that caliber. All steel, it had some weight and mass but was very physically compact. The only downside is the round-count.

I held off shooting .40S&W for a long time, and only got a gun in this caliber a few years ago. My favorite in this round (adequate mass in the projectile with an increase in round count for the size of the pistol) is a light weight S&W M&P 40C. The one I have has the manual safety, and is a great and accurate gun.

Marc
    Cheers!

Marc

ut facile, Usurpate tamen!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    19965 times
    I just love these discussions.
    Like Mick mentioned
    ",,, every thing else is discussing how many fairies can dance on the head of a pin".
    I have a 9mm with me at all times, and a 10mm next to me at night. I use a .41 magnum or .44 magnum for woods carry depending on the weather.
    It seems odd, but neither to .40 or the .45 are my go to guns.
    Ratzo likes this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    7072 times
    A 1911 in.45ACP because I'm old and hate change.

COME TAKE IT.
    To friends , I'm "Thud". Proud Supporter of Buckeye Firearms Assn.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    20860 times
    When it comes to what I should carry for self defense - During what I could refer to as my dynamic years the revolver was favored by a majority, as the police were overwhelmingly armed with six shot revolvers. That being said, although the 45 auto was seen as a military sidearm by the majority, but a few were adamant about the 1911 as the way to go; thinking of Jeff Cooper as one of the most vigorous in that regard.

Now I have carried a diminutive Baby Browning for defense and as an "Onion Field" hide out. For 38 revolvers, I just shot the model ten better (double action)than the J-frame revolvers AND the Colt D.S., although it was easier to conceal than the K-frame snubs. I have carried 380 autos as BUGS - But when facing a serious threat as a civilian, I went with the 1911 and the Glocks (357 Sig) later on. . . I prefer the Combat Commander for a serious threat, because I have had it the longest, so far it has been reliable with hollow-point ammo. My favorite revolver for concealed carry is my model-13, with a 4-inch barrel worn in an inside the waist holster, because for close up shooting it just seems to work better and the 357 magnum is a serious defense round for the woods or the street. As to the forty caliber - I have one but it doesn't get shot all that often . . .I think older guys tend to stick with what has worked in the past.
    Waidmann and ussmanlovede36 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6832 times
    The only .40 I own is am inheritance (a G23), I'll eventually burn some of the late BIL's ammo but that's it. I have fired and carried his CW45 a bit and my impressions are favorable. When I am not carrying a .38 snub as a primary I tend toward my reshaped G32 or one of several S&W .357's.

Member #
    Liked
    160 times
    I carry a .40S&W while driving my 4WD. Otherwise, I carry a Model 60, 3 inch, .357 or a .380 Colt Mustang, if I am dressed for town.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    14039 times
    Name:  IMG_0573.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  1.35 MB

646 from the Performance Center in 40 S&W.

Would this work?
    ussmanlovede36 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    20860 times
    Well the 10 mm revolver has shot the short ten mm called the S&W 40 cal. And the auto pistol was a nice shooter - I trust the guy who now owns it, is enjoying it. I kept the 10 mm revolver because during the ammo shortage a lot of PD's were using the 40 caliber, and I kept the 610 as a backup in case 10mm supply would dry up - and I felt 40 caliber would still be available. I am more interested in shot placement than superior ballistics (to a point) or a few more rounds than my 1911 pistols have. Other than magazine capacity I don't see any real ballistic advantage.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18645 times
    We have both calibers and like both, but it is up to the shooter to do their part. The same goes for any weapon and caliber. I carry a 9mm lately but a lot of that is because I love the design so I shoot it more.
    Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone.

Member #
    Liked
    850 times
    Don't have anything in .40. This time of year, usually a 1911 or my Dan Wesson 15-2. Warmer weather, my 9mm Sigma or CZ 82. The Bodyguard is always nearby as backup. Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links