+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Re: Reloading .38 Spl.

Hay xtimberman,

What the heck is "Universal" Clays powder. I've been using "Clays" in pistols for about 5-6 years now because my trap & skeet club bought it in 9lb jugs and sold it to us for cost. Regular old "Clays" is almost identical to Red Dot in burn rate but not much cleaner that I can tell. Shot 4.2 grains under 200gr .45 SWC's on Saturday and you should see the smoke/dirt on my 1955 Target.

Only dirtier powder I can think of is Bullseye.

Is "Universal" Clays something new? When you have 9lb of powder and load for revolvers you don't go powder shopping very often!
    Properly cared for, a good gun will last a lifetime, and several more as well!

Member #
    Liked
    3277 times

John, I feel like you do about Reloading. It's alot of money to invest on something that I'm not sure about....if I will like it or not. Maybe I better stick to what I like.....buying factory ammo. It's not like I'm broke or anything! When I want to shoot.....I buy ammo.....then, I shoot it!!! What could be simpler? ......and , there's always WALMART!!! Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    305 times

John Fox,

You are doing just fine moving along by yourself, but your handloading knowledge will increase exponentially if you climb onto an experienced reloader's learning curve. You will advance quicker with another beginner, too - the two of you working together will double your knowledge and experience level. Try to find a handloading mentor in the area or attend the reloading seminars at the Glendale Cabela's.

I'll say it again... Universal Clays is an excellent choice for loading .38 Special! You did very well picking this gunpowder - it is very versatile and will be great for assembling all sorts of .38 Special loads, from target velocities to +P power.

Universal Clays is one of three shotshell gunpowders that Hodgdon introduced nearly 20 years ago. All three use the word "Clays" in the name - Clays, International Clays, Universal Clays - because of the "clay" target application. It so happens that shotgun powders are just perfect for most handgun cartridges too!

For the rest of you who can't use the google function to check out the Hodgdon Gunpowders to find out about some ~20 year-old propellants like Universal Clays :
    http://hodgdon.com/shotpist.html

Some experienced handloaders must drop the word "Clays" from the proper name of the gunpowder - further confusing all the beginners by using "Universal", "International", etc. and leaving them to wonder which is what and are they all "Clays"!!! They are three different gunpowders - each with its own burn rate and charge requirements.

John, stick with your Universal Clays for your revolver - great choice!

Get some of the Phoenix-area members here to steer you toward some resonably-priced quality lead bullets - 146gr. WCs and 158gr. SWCs. Save those 125s for some serious +P loads. I know you are familiar with google Check out Jessie Clark's Tennessee Valley Bullets - he's a member here, and ships out bullets to many of us.....

Member #
    Liked
    423 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K
    John, I feel like you do about Reloading. It's alot of money to invest on something that I'm not sure about....if I will like it or not. Maybe I better stick to what I like.....buying factory ammo. It's not like I'm broke or anything! When I want to shoot.....I buy ammo.....then, I shoot it!!! What could be simpler? ......and , there's always WALMART!!! Bob
    38s are $18/box. Two boxes, one for me and the wife, is almost $40/week to shoot.

I'd rather pay half that, so I'm going to stick it out. It's semi-braindead type of work once you get the loads figured out, put the cartridge in, pull the handle, repeat 99 more times. You have to pay attention, but there isn't a lot of thinking going on. I do that all day long, I could either sit in front of the TV and veg out, or do this.

I take some comfort knowing that if I don't like it or stop doing it, I can probably resell everything for half of what I paid for it.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1422 times

John, check out Jessie's site, he will take care of you, he's one of the good guys!

Tennessee Valley Bullets
    Let go of anything that stops you from having everything…DM

Dom

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Hi Bib K,

I got off on a tangent learning about "Universal" Clays (thanks xtimberman).

I would HIGHLY suggest entering the fascinating hobby of reloading. I started with an RCBS JR. back in 77 and I still use it right next to my Rockchucker and my Lee progressive (and that darn Dillon that's gathering dust!). I have 2 RCBS micrometer powder measures, 3 lee measures(much cheaper) and a $300+ benchrest measure all lined up, clamped to a shelf over my loading bench. I leave each one set up for a certain load. You don't even need a powder measure or scale to start, you can use the Lee dippers, we all do at times! AND you don't need an electric scale, just get the cheapest balance scale when you do get one. You'll still use it later.

Today, I would buy all lee stuff, start with the minimum and add as you go on. I bet they have a starter kit at Midwayusa.com. Start with a single stage press. you'll always need one of these no matter how many presses you buy. I leave one set up for .30-06 all the time.

The most fun in hand-loading is working up an accurate load for your particular gun. This is a MUST for rifles and fun with handguns. The next thing I would add in an inexpensive chronograph like the Shooting "Chrony". They range from $100.00 to maybe $225. The cheap one is a pain simply because you have to walk up to it every shot to see the velocity. The cheapest model with the remote readout would be my choice. The Chrony introduces a whole new dimension of FUN into the hobby. Rarely do the loads equal the book velocity! Or, you can design your own loads, like I did, shooting 9mm 115 & 124 gr bullets in my airweight .38. Great for practice and cheep. Mine simulate the velocity and Kick of the factory hydra shock 110', and nyclad 125 factory loads I carry for defense. Factory defense loads for a .38 run $20.00 + shipping or $29.99 locally for only 25 cartridges! You can load your own with cast bullets for under $5.00 a box of 25 and have fun doing it. Pistol powder goes a long way per pound. Midway is a good source for the bullets and most everything, very fast shipping and it's clear what is in stock and what is not.

Get into loading, you won't be sorry.

Before you spend
    Properly cared for, a good gun will last a lifetime, and several more as well!

Member #
    Liked
    305 times

jamo,

For several years, a couple of us on here have tried to convince ol' Bob K that he might really enjoy handloading some rounds for that .38 Special of his. I believe that this is the first thread where he's actually asked something about reloading, and it looks like you've scared him off.........

xtm

Member #
    Liked
    514 times

I too have loaded Shotgun powder in most of my revolver and pistol reloads over the years. I especially like 4.5 gr Red Dot in 38 special Reloads and 10 gr HERCO in my 41 Magnum Reloads.
    Jim

Firearms safety is no accident.
    S&WHF #242
    S&WCA #2059
    NRA Patron Life

Member #
    Liked
    1703 times

I can tell you here locally that .38 ammo is pretty much gone. I mean nothing, not even the cheap stuff Wally World used to sell but for some reason stopped stocking. I know that right after Tucson and gun control was used in the same sentence that just about every caliber of handgun ammo along with .223 disappeared off the shelves again. Primers though are plentiful, and at one local shop you can 100 once fired .38's for $1.00. I think as the economy goes further south, any new incidents (Fox has been running alot of coverage about the school shooting today in California) that jumpy gun owners are snatching up ammo where they can. I really think that in the next year or so and the closer we get to 2012 (between the election and those who think that the Mayan calender really is the end of the world) it will be very interesting. Gun sales will go up again, along with ammo, reloading supplies, etc. Personally, if you are not reloading your own ammo now, what are you waiting for? Prices to go higher? .38 Special is THE best place to start reloading your own ammo. Maybe if more people did reload their own ammo then the ammo companies might ge the messages and start dropping their prices. I would love to see .38 Special for under $20 here, because that is a dream now. The last box that I saw was a 50 count box of Remington 158 grainers, not even +P, and if I recall that was something like $25. I think alot of gun shops are doing the same thing gas stations do when they get the last bit of super unleaded. jack the prices up. I know the last box of .41 Magnum I saw at over $60 on a shelf got my attention like that, or the $72 box of .218 Bee. Ammo isn't going to get any cheaper, and if more talk of gun control gets out there, you might find yourself standing at a counter begging for whatever scraps are left.
    "No people in the world ever did achieve their freedom by goody-goody talk and moral suasion: it being immutable law that all revolutions that will succeed must being in blood, whatever may answer afterward."
    Mark Twain

Member #
    Liked
    3277 times

Quote Originally Posted by xtimberman
    jamo,

For several years, a couple of us on here have tried to convince ol' Bob K that he might really enjoy handloading some rounds for that .38 Special of his. I believe that this is the first thread where he's actually asked something about reloading, and it looks like you've scared him off.........

xtm
    I scare easily. But...I ain't got kids, pets or anything......so I can afford some .38's once in awhile.... and, my wife doesn't shoot. Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Links