+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Re: What do you prefer for Self Defence 9mm or .40S&W

Quote Originally Posted by WendyZXZ
    For me it isn't as much the caliber as the particular weapon and whether I like the weapon, will shoot it more, and how it feels and handles. Although .38 Special is the minimum caliber that I have or would carry.

Good advise. And since I like the 1911 best of any semiauto might as well have it in 45 ACP.

I have seen a fair amount of shootings over the years, the 9mm has the worst record of all, including shootings involving the MP5...

They do not call the 40 S&W the 40 Short & Week for nothing...

The 44 Mag and the 45 ACP have a much better track record, baised on actual shootings I am aware of.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

I'm Probably different than most shooters on this forum. I Don't own a 9mm pistol, but
    I have 4 .40 S&W pistols. I just like the .40 more. I have 2 Springfield XD's. A service
    model and a sub-compact, a Sig Sauer P229 Equinox and a CZ 40P.
    [SIG][/SIG]

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

I prefer 9mm, which is good since it's what we issue and what I have to carry on duty, but even so I'd still choose to carry a 9 even if I could carry anything else I wanted (and off-duty I can, but I carry 9mms and .38s even so).

The .40 gives no real wound ballistics advantage, is more expensive to shoot, recoils more, and many of the guns chambered for the .40 are either less durable or less reliable (or both) than the same models in 9mm.

Bigger bullets make people feel better about what they are carrying, but the reality is that all pistols are puny, and poor choices for stopping fights.

I used to have five different Glock .40s and several .45s, now I don't own a .40 or .45 at all, my serious carry guns are all Glock 9mms and S&W .38s at this point. I think I am pretty well set for carry handguns.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

For years I carried a S&W 39-2 9mm loaded with quality HP ammunition. When I got a S&W 4013TSW I carried department issued Speer Gold Dot 180gr HP's. I rotate between both pistols, but make sure to carry either Speer God Dots, Federal HST or Winchester PDX-1 bonded ammunition, depending upon availability.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

I always tried to carry a 1911or other 45 during my 42yrs as a LEO(the AF frowned on it but I had good commanders) As a State LEO I had my 1911+ Sig P220+Glock21+Detonics. Issue was M66 2.5" 357>G17>SigP220>G22. Best ammo for 40 cal is Fed HST(cheapest too). Personal BHP 9mm has WW Ranger 127+P+, Fed 124+P+(LE Only)/38 BUGs have Speer 135+P Gold Dot (Short Bbl). The new (mm loads have come into their own, giving as good stops as 40s with less recoil(better shot placement) than 40s with equal penetration. The 180 gr 40s just go too far after a hit.

Member #
    Liked
    3376 times

I carry .38 Spl. snubbies for most of the time. It is the minimum that I would carry. I bought a .357 M-66 in case I need more......I don't carry it much, though. Only a few times when I actually needed anything......... I felt comfortable with the .38.

I know you asked about 9mm or .40 S&W. I consider .38 spl. and 9mm to be adequate for self defense. If you know how to shoot.......it doesn't make a difference, in my book. The emphasis should be on 'know how to shoot'. Practice and knowledge of what you need to do, are more important than caliber. Bob
    Last edited by Bob K; 04-10-2011 at 07:09 PM.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    1765 times
    Quote Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
    I am in a situation on decideing which caliber of handgun too purchase
    Both guns are S&W's
    A 9mm or .40S&W Caliber.
    Which caliber bullet would you select and why?
    If you are inexperienced, a 9mm will likely be easier to control. In general the .40 S&W offers more power, a heavier larger bullet and excellent capacity in typical pistols. About two years ago my wife and I needed to make a decisions about a HD pistol that she would be able to use. We selected a Glock G-22 as she can handle it well. If the 9mm has been the heaviest round she could have handled well, we would have just bought a G-17 in 9mm. Don't obsess over the caliber. Whatever round you choose, buy a pistol that suits your needs and then learn to shoot it effectively. The particular round will not be the most important consideration. Being able to use the weapon effectively will be much more important. JMHO.

Links