+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1407 times

.25 ACP ballistics test-vs .22 Long rifle

I have heard and read over the years the many sources about how weak the little .25 ACP is on penetration, so I decided to try it out for myself. I took my little Walther 8 pistol and a 50 grain Remington FMJ and filled four 1 gallon jugs with water and placed them back to back in line. The shot was from 6 yards away. I was hoping that the .25 would go through two if I was lucky. Nope, all four jugs and the bullet kept right on going. It was not recovered.

"No people in the world ever did achieve their freedom by goody-goody talk and moral suasion: it being immutable law that all revolutions that will succeed must being in blood, whatever may answer afterward."
    Mark Twain

Member #
    Liked
    303 times

Re: .25 ACP ballistics test

Yep...it's like a extra long ice pick!

I remember one of the early episodes of "Cops".... really big fella got shot in the torso with a .25acp - the slug went all the way through, but it still put his big #$$ flat on the ground.

One thing has always bugged me about paper ballistics comparisons to the .25acp. Detractors always compare it to the .22LR - and then use the MV and ME of a long-barreled .22 rifle to the MV and ME of a .25acp with a 1 1/2" barrel...

xtm

Member #
    Liked
    96 times

The .25 ACP can be an interesting little round. I've got a Beretta that I shoot on occasion. On my best day, I can shoot a fist sized group at 7 yards. You need to try your test with one of the Hornaday hollow points now. They function well in my pistol. The only complaint I have against them is that they are LOUD. For some reason when I shoot them, it tends to make my electronic ear muffs crackle and pop. .45's, .38's and .38 Supers don't bother the muffs but the .25 drives them crazy.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

I carry handguns chambered for bigger cartridges from that experience.

Member #
    Liked
    1407 times

Re: .25 ACP ballistics test-vs .22 Long rifle

Ok, today I took out my .22 Colt Woodsman pistol and four milk jugs filled with water. I never really intended to make the .25 ACP into something that it is not. What I wanted to do was compare it to a .22 lr pistol, which I have heard so many say is superior to the .25 ACP. The .22 passed through two of the jugs and stopped halfway into the third. The round I used was a 36 grain Remington Golden Bullet HP. While some might say that a hotter .22 would offer greater penetration, again I was only using the standard 50 grain FMJ .25 as well. Here is the revovered .22 slug, note that it mushroomed nicely.

"No people in the world ever did achieve their freedom by goody-goody talk and moral suasion: it being immutable law that all revolutions that will succeed must being in blood, whatever may answer afterward."
    Mark Twain

Member #
    Liked
    303 times

Until the little bitty locked-breech DAOs like the KelTec and Ruger LCP came along, the .25acp autos filled a niche for a vest pocket repeater. The Colts, Brownings, Berettas, S&Ws, etc. were just about all there was available - and being chambered for the little .22 and .25 kept the size small - as was desired. Yeah...I surely would prefer a heavier cartridge, but having a small, handy .25acp is certainly better than having nothing at all when it's needed.

If you've never examined one closely, the .25s really are small. Here is what Mrs. xtm refers to as her "Going-to-the Opera Gun" - sitting atop a "Baby" Glock. The Glock is a small autoloader, but this little Browning is just plain tiny when compared to it!

Didn't James Bond carry a .25acp in the early Ian Fleming novels - before he was forcibly issued a Walther PPK?

xtm

Member #
    Liked
    1407 times

Yes, Bond's carry gun in the early novels was a Beretta 418 which bore a slight resemblence to the Baby Browning but everything else was different. Like the Walthers and the Brownings, the Beretta 418 was a very popular gun and was made for a long time. Again I find it hard to believe that a caliber so anemic was made in so many well built guns. Walther alone made over 500,000 various .25 ACP pistols before WWII alone. That doesn't count for the Colt's, Brownings, Beretta's, and then the off brands including some weird little French pistol I encountered a while back that was apparently popular (at least there) that looked like a ray gun. I think the problem now is that the magazine articles have gotten so many people sold on wonder nine's that they have forgotten the guns of yesteryear. I mean cmon, they have been badmouthing the .30-30 as long as I can recall, and how many deer are taken every year? It is always the latest and greatest calibers that get the glory, but the .25 ACP will put a man down, there is ample evidence to prove it. Is it AS good as the .32, the .380, and others, no of course not. But it is certainly not as weak as some say. With all due respect to Jeff Cooper, I don't think he had all the facts on this, but remember, he was a 1911 .45 ACP fan, and when you get to be a fan of ONE gun for so long, well, you can get biased over time.
    Mark Twain

Member #
    Liked
    22 times

xtimberman: That is an absolutely beautiful little pistol!
    I want one!

Member #
    Liked
    303 times

Quote Originally Posted by Sustinemus
    xtimberman: That is an absolutely beautiful little pistol!
    I want one!
    I'll tell Mrs. xtm - she inherited that neat little thing!

Actually, I'd like to have a collection of the small high quality .25 autos - and a Walther like David's would be high on my list...and a Colt 1908...and a Beretta.....sigh...

xtm

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

+1

Links