Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Wal-mart ammo

6K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  Txkayaker 
#1 ·
I went to Wal-Mart last night., (I was there the night before, and they had basically NO ammo. So, last night I go back, and their shelves were HALF full of .223/.556, .40, .45. I decided to buy my allotted 3 boxes of .223, and in the 20 minutes it took to find the 1 manager with the key to the ammo cabinet, I started chatting with a cool, younger (19) employee. He told me flat out that... "yeah when the ammo came in, we have 2 employee's here, that always buy a Sh%tload!!".....I KNEW that was the case at Wal-marts. And I always felt that Wal-Mart having ammo, was the key to lowering the insane prices over the past year!

#2 ·
The Walmart in Post Falls, ID has a nearly full stock of everything except 22LR now. The clerk said they get in 22 ammo a couple times a month and they enforce the 3 box rule too. She also said that they're getting much bigger qty's in nearly every shipment. I was there on Tuesday and they had a full case of CCI mini-mag ammo. She said thay received a couple cases of the CCI ammo and it took a little more than a day for it to be sold off. I was getting a battery and an oil change at that time so we chatted when she had a break between customers.
I watched as the customers came up one by one and got 2 or 3 boxes each and went away very happy. I didn't pick any up since I don't neeed it. But the customers that did get the ammo all agreed about the limits on it for now. I have more than enough 22 ammo right now so buying more isn't a very high priority. The price was $7.29 for a 100 round box. That's only $.30 higher than normal prices for mini-mag. Things out here are returning to normal slowly. Once 22 ammo is plentiful prices will return close to normal again.

I started chatting with a cool, younger (19) employee. He told me flat out that... "yeah when the ammo came in, we have 2 employee's here, that always buy a Sh%tload!!"
You ought to see if you can get their names. You need to contact the store manager there and discuss this problem with him. You need to let him know that it's not good business, and that his customers are being cheated. He needs to know that his customers are limited to 3 boxes of each type of ammo, and his own employees aren't working under the same rules. They do listen. You could also call the local TV or newspaper and bring up the problem with them. That'll get the store managers attention very quickly. Walmart as a corporation hates any bad publicity. And they'll stop the problems immediately.

I hate it when employees take advantage of this situation and profit greatly from our pains.

Regards,
Gregory

#3 ·
Both the "walley worlds" here never have any 22's or hand gun ammo. I suspect the same employee "buyout" The one LGS does have a limited supply of CCI low velocity long rifle lead nose and will only allow a 1 box 100 count per customer @ 8.39 per box. I am buying one a wk. as I need 22's for critter control and just to have some on hand. They do have primers lg. and sm. both pistol and rifle and you can buy what you need of those. I do preffer CCI primers but he usually only has Federal. At tis point I'll take what I can get. OK supply of most rifle and shot gun ammo is available as well at reasonable prices.

Charlie

#4 ·
On a whim we swung by Walmart last Friday after dinner out. 4 boxes of mini mag on shelf, so I took my allotted 3. Then proceeded on my way to find the Mrs. in the dessert aisle. The guy from sporting goods was walking briskly behind me & let me know he was on the way back to the warehouse to bring out a 1/2 pallet of assorted ammo. I thanked him, but didn't go back. No ammo can trump a chocolate layer cake when your a reloader. :D Needless to say things are getting a bit back to normal, but the hunters looking for 270, 30-30, .308 & 30.06 etc. are in for some before season hunting.

Reactions: 1av8r
#5 ·
Wal-Mart employees are not supposed to be able to buy more than the 3 box limit and can only do than when off duty. The clerk that puts out the ammo in ours complains because the 22's are always gone by the time she gets off work. She did say there is always a group of people there every day at 6:30 to buy all the 22's. That is why all the ammo is for sale on the internet and gun shows. They get six deliveries a week and never know when ammo will come on the truck. the last batch of 22 short lasted three days and sometimes standard velocity will last till noon.

#7 ·
I was surprised yesterday to see Federal 150 round boxes of 5.56 priced at $69.99. I didn't buy any but thinkin' now I should have. They has a few 100 round plastic thingys of CCI 22 LR but I left them there too.

#10 ·
.22 mag at one area W-M was the only non high power rifle ammo caliber I have seen recently.

#11 ·
I did a Wal-Mart run today at one of the "local" stores. They had one box of .38 specials and four boxes of .45 ACP. They now have no .38 specials and half of their 45 ammo is gone.

#12 ·
Did sumpin a bit ago I never did think i'd do....bought 25acp of the net!Seems i have bought all of it in the area in the past few weeks(who knew plinking with a lil Saturday night special would be so fun)Wal=Mart(n we got 3 in a 10 mile radius) has been purty good round here, cept fer 22 lr. Like ya'all been sayin, ya get there when the trucks come in, and theys been a plenty of everything but the 22 lr...and now 25acp.I swear, hard to believe that lil buggar is fun to shoot, just aint accurate over bout 25 yds.Me n da Princess on the way to get us a new camera, so imma try n post up some pix 2morrow, got a few guns came in, but still not the ones i really want(way of the world).Happy shooting n Viyo can Dios my friends.Mike

#13 ·
Both Wal marts here in WV were I live..the day manger which is a lady told me they haven't had any .22LR. In months..only thing I can find is Federal auto match for $ 27.00 for 325rds. and Remington 100rd for $12.00 and 500 rd box for $36.00...but I don't like Remington Golden bullits. Have a Remington model 597..and will not shoot it. It jams all the time...but other ammo it works fine. So Federal Auto Match it is..I seen one website had CCI AR Factual..for $89.00 for a box. That is crazy.... $27.00 for 325rds is high enough... They told me that the price is going to stay high because of supply and demand. Good Thing I had 3000rds some CCI mini mag from 2 years ago. I been saving that... :bullets:ihfnlllllq.

#14 ·
I've bought some 22LR at Dick's but I don't keep it. I have several younger friends that can't catch it coming off the truck so I do it for them. It just rips me a new one they can't get the 22 ammo for their kids to shoot.
I know last spring the NRA was having one heck of a time getting ammo for the YHEC (Youth Hunter Education Challenge) events I worked at. I guess I'll start the hunt for 22LR for those events now that you all have reminded me of the shortage.
FWIW, I think some of the store managers are involved in picking up the ammo before it hits the shelves. There is an app for your I phones that tells you what each Walmart has in stock. I've had numerous instances when it is in stock but not on the shelves. When I've asked store managers about it, I've had a couple get nervous when I mentioned calling corporate headquarters about the app showing bad info.

#17 ·
I refuse to stand in the oh-dark thirty line at WallyWorld or pay outrages prices for 22lr. I used up most of my stash long ago. I applaud the 'entrepreneurs' who are taking advantage of this year long run, but it just isn't worth it to me. One thing I learned in economics that holds true for me is the concept of available substitutes. Since I used 22s primarily for target shooting and general plinkning, I decided to take a page from my youth.

View attachment 27248

It is accurate, quiet, cost effective and I'm having fun with it. I found this Crosman Classic for $50, new. No problems finding .177 pellets at a reasonable price (so far).
(pleaseforgivethedust.ifailedtowipeitdownbeforetheshot)

#22 ·
I opted for the .22 cal pellet pistol so I could zero the sight using a laser boresighter. The sight is surprisingly lightweight, though it looks ungainly.

Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Gun barrel

Reactions: msharley
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.