Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By RDLouks
  • 1 Post By Hellbent

Thread: Bodyguard 380

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Bodyguard 380

What's the best brand for ammo in both carry and target for my bodyguard 380. Anyone?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11550 times
    What is the best Ammo for your BG 380 is kind of like asking what is the best Pickup manufacturer.
    For me I use Hornady Critical Defense rounds in my 380. Why? Personal preference I guess. They work and feed well in mine, I have good grouping and hitting point of aim.
    For practice I use my reloads, granted I do not run as many rounds through my 380 as I do with my .357's, 40's, or my 45's but I do try to run 50 or so every couple of months to stay comfortable using and firing it as it is my carry gun for the most part.
    Sorry I could not tell you that one "Magic Bullet" that will have the recoil of a 22, the stopping power of a 44 magnum. or the muzzle flash of a Pellet Gun, but frankly it does not exist.
    Hellbent and FlaRon like this.
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988, And Proud Of It.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3786 times
    Another vote for the Critical Defense ammo for all the reasons RD just gave. For practice, I generally use whatever I can find as it's one of two that I don't reload for. While not as necessary perhaps as it used to be, I'd suggest FMJ practice loads until the gun is broken in. Then, if you're using for defense, make sure it's 100% reliable with your chosen load. Oh yeah, and have fun with it!
    FlaRon likes this.
    Duane

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Agree completely RD!....
    Let me opine here:
    As an avid reloader I have found a pet load for my Walther PPKS. I also use the Hornady Critical Defense, and my little PPK likes them. But as a favorite load, for some unexplained reason, the little one likes the 90gr Speer GDHP in front of 4.3 gr Unique. I know every weapon is different but I guess I need to go back to physics class!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9425 times

Cool

I like Speer Ammo in .380 but as others have said there are other quality manufactures.

In colder weather with more clothing to penetrate I like FMJ.

Speer 95 grain FMJ Lawman for practice and Speer Gold Dot .90 grain HP for carry in the warm sunny climate where I live.

Reliability is paramount with any load you decide on.

I have recently gone back to a .38 special as my minimum caliber carry gun but that's just my personal preference.

Regards,

FlaRon
    Last edited by FlaRon; 04-06-2013 at 07:35 PM.
    "But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."
    John Adams, July 17, 1775

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty".
    Thomas Jefferson

"Blessed be the Lord my strength,which teacheth my hands to war,and my fingers to fight". Psalm 144:1

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T.Larkin

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Yeah Ron,
    Like you I carry a .38spl. My little J-frame has become a part of me now. However, at times, I also carry the PPK. Someone will have to explain to me why a gun "likes" a particular round. I have also used the Lawman round you mentioned and the FMJ from American Eagle....never had a failure to fire!

Member #
    Liked
    2010 times
    The best ammo for your 380 is whatever feeds reliably. You can have the "best" sd rounds in the mag, but if they don't feed you'd be better off with a brick.
    "A smart man believes only half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half!" -Jeff Cooper

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks to all !

Member #
    Liked
    227 times
    I know several people carrying a small .380 and all are using Hornady Critical Defense ammo.
    Freedom Is Never Free
    Proud Member Of The NRA

Member #
    Liked
    305 times
    I don't have a Bodyguard .380, but I do have a Ruger LCP that I run with Double Tap ball rounds - they chrono at ~975 fps. I'm not convinced that the fancy tactical bullets will perform always as promised from the really short barrel .380s, so I'm more interested in +P rounds that will run 100% of the time. I replaced the stock springs with an extra-power Wolff set to help handle the increased power and recoil.

I also have a few really stout Buffalo Bore brand ball rounds that I occasionally load in the locked-breech LCP. I wouldn't run them in any blow-back design, but have no problem with the modern locked-breech mouse-guns.

Links