Smith And Wesson Forums banner

whats best ammo in a M&P .40 compact?

19K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  ShootnSteel 
#1 ·
i just got a compact mp .40 cal with crimson trace laser grips what is the best accurate ammo for this gun i only shot a box of winchester 180 yesterday . seemed ok anyone else had and better luck out of different brand and or grains?

#2 ·
I prefer to use 165 grain Hornady Critical Defence rounds in my M&P 40c. I also reload for my 40 S&W and use 165 grain Rainier Plated for Practice/Target use. I get good grouping, mild recoil, and can quickly reacquire the target.

#4 ·
First...Welcome aboard from the "GunShine" state of Florida. kfjdrfirii

180 grainers seem to be preferred in compact .40's by most folks.

But the only way to find out what's the most accurate in your gun while you're shooting it is the old "trial and error" method.

Not the pat answer you were seeking, but nevertheless the truth.
fhfjjjj

#6 ·
Welcome to the forum.
I prefer to shoot Speer Gold Dot or Federal Personal Defense in my M&P .40.
They both shoot to point in my pistol and they're both well known in their defensive roles.
The biggest factor for which I shoot is the price point when I need fresh ammo. I'll buy either brand, depending which costs less at the moment I need it. Like Wendy said, most of the latest generation pistol designs will handle nearly any ammo you will load in to them. the feed ramp designs are much better suited to hollow point ammo than in the past. The big improvements seem to have come into play over the past 10 years or less.

If you find an ammo that doesn't feed well in your pistol, you should first consider it to be an ammo issue, more than a likely problem with the pistol.
So far my M&P has never had any malfunctions. I believe it's possibly one of the best designed pistols in my collections.

Regards,
Gearchecker

#7 ·
If you shoot offhand then your going to get atleast 95% of your accuracy from your shooting skills IMHO.
If you want to test an ammo's accuracy then be sure to bench rest your gun, distances of atleast 50 yards give you a decent idea.
You'll probably find most name brand in the same weight range is about the same

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.