+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Most Accurate .22 LR Ammo

Member #
    Liked
    1014 times

Most Accurate .22 LR Ammo

Just wondering what you guys have found for the most consistently accurate 22 LR ammo. I want to find out how accurate my new Henry is, so I want to eliminate one of three possibilities for poor performance. I don't care about cost, since even the most expensive 22 ammo is still pretty darn cheap.

I'll use my bulk Remington stuff for killing soup cans with my dad.

Thanks

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5898 times
    Over the years I have found that every single .22 weapon is different and each gun will shoot better with one make/type of .22 ammo over all others. I have found the best way to test for accuracy is to obtain as many readily available makes of .22 ammo as you can, sand bag rest your gun, really take your time, and shoot groups for accuracy. I have one particular Marlin scoped heavy barrel bolt action which, (after testing 10 different makes of ammo), drives tacks only with cheap bulk Winchester 550 pk. Hollow Points from Wally-World. It is the most accurate .22 I've ever owned. Frankly, for can plinking and general shooting, I use anything available thats bulk & cheap.
    DocZeus and Waidmann like this.

Member #
    Liked
    696 times
    If you want to ask about the best 22 or ammo for accuracy. There is a forum that Gear Checker is very much involved with called takdrivers. This is the place to find solid imformation on the subject. These fellas are deep into 22 rifles and know every brand and every after market products and have tried them all.They are deep into accuracy to the extreme with 22 calibers. here is a link
    Takdriver's Forum
    DocZeus likes this.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13041 times
    Elay is the most consistant and accurate ammo on the market. The latest world record was scored shooting Elay ammo. I'm not sure which batched was used though.

More than just the brand, you'll need to try different bullet types, and bullet weights to get the best possible combination with your new rifle.
    I've been told the Elay Green Box ammo is some of the best 22 ammo ever produced. It easily costs 2-3 times what CCI mini-mag ammo costs on a good day. 2nd best is CCI mini-mag ammo.
    You will probably need to try a few different bullet weights to see what your rifle shoots the best.
    It will shoot one brand, bullet type, and bullet weight of ammo better than all the others.

Something else you might want to consider is using is a thick rubber O-ring on the barrel. Get the thick ones about 1/2" thick and 1/2" or so inside diameter. You can usually get these at a NAPA store, Lowe's, or Home Depot. You can also order Barrel tuner rings from Brownell's or Midway.
    You want it to fit quite snugly on the barrel of your rifle. Slip one of them down the barrel until it's about 8" from the chamber. Then shoot some shot groups of 5 rounds with it. Move the O-ring about 2" toward the muzzle after every set until you find the sweet spot on the barrel giving you the tightest groups. Then move it in 1/4" movements between the best two groups until you're spot on thru the whole set.
    What the ring does is to absorb the resonance of the barrel during the shot. Even something as solid as a steel barrel will vibrate and suffer from harmonics during the time the bullet is twisting down thru the barrel. The O-ring counter acts it.
    Your Henry should be able to easily set sub 1" groups at 50 yds, and solid 1" groups at 100 yds.
    The key is properly securing the rifle into benchrest stability. Poor holding technique means poor groupings.

Once you have a solid BR set, try to see how well you can handhold it at 50 yds with your iron sights. 1" groups handheld is impressive, with most any rifle.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    Waidmann likes this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3547 times
    Although I am in general agreement with the sages above, Eley Tenex match at 50 ft. gets my vote. I often dispatch garden pests with Federal Classic HPs.

Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    I like Eley but I have some PMC Match Rifle that is very good too. I don't think the PMC is available anymore. One thing that I really pay attention to is shooting standard velocity ammunition instead of high velocity .22's. Standard velocity seems to be much more accurate in most of my .22's. The Aguila Match Rifle ammo is not too bad either.
    USMC Snakedriver likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    13440 times
    IMHO CCI is very good, Eley match is the best. Federal made some match ammo that was nearly as good as the Eley.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    1014 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gearchecker View Post
    Elay is the most consistant and accurate ammo on the market. The latest world record was scored shooting Elay ammo. I'm not sure which batched was used though.

More than just the brand, you'll need to try different bullet types, and bullet weights to get the best possible combination with your new rifle.
    I've been told the Elay Green Box ammo is some of the best 22 ammo ever produced. It easily costs 2-3 times what CCI mini-mag ammo costs on a good day. 2nd best is CCI mini-mag ammo.
    You will probably need to try a few different bullet weights to see what your rifle shoots the best.
    It will shoot one brand, bullet type, and bullet weight of ammo better than all the others.

Something else you might want to consider is using is a thick rubber O-ring on the barrel. Get the thick ones about 1/2" thick and 1/2" or so inside diameter. You can usually get these at a NAPA store, Lowe's, or Home Depot. You can also order Barrel tuner rings from Brownell's or Midway.
    You want it to fit quite snugly on the barrel of your rifle. Slip one of them down the barrel until it's about 8" from the chamber. Then shoot some shot groups of 5 rounds with it. Move the O-ring about 2" toward the muzzle after every set until you find the sweet spot on the barrel giving you the tightest groups. Then move it in 1/4" movements between the best two groups until you're spot on thru the whole set.
    What the ring does is to absorb the resonance of the barrel during the shot. Even something as solid as a steel barrel will vibrate and suffer from harmonics during the time the bullet is twisting down thru the barrel. The O-ring counter acts it.
    Your Henry should be able to easily set sub 1" groups at 50 yds, and solid 1" groups at 100 yds.
    The key is properly securing the rifle into benchrest stability. Poor holding technique means poor groupings.

Once you have a solid BR set, try to see how well you can handhold it at 50 yds with your iron sights. 1" groups handheld is impressive, with most any rifle.

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    Boy, I guess onenut wasn't kidding when he said you take this stuff seriously!

Thank you very much for the information. I'll be tickled pink if I can even come close to the performance you described. Growing up, I spent a lot of time killing soup cans with my dad. Learned all about safety, but accuracy wasn't my objective at the time. It was all about spending time with my dad (kind of like going fishing with him - doesn't matter if we catch anything, not the point). But now that I've purchased a few firearms, I plan of getting good with everything, or getting rid of it. I want to make sure I'm the weakest link (although sometimes excuses are nice), so thanks again for the input.

Member #
    Liked
    305 times
    I wouldn't waste pricey Eley ammo on that Henry - it simply does not have the precision target accuracy potential to know the difference between reasonably-priced target ammo and the high-end stuff.

As stated above, each .22 firearm seems to have an ammo brand preference. I believe that Remington Standard Velocity Target ammo (in the green & turquoise plastic container - $5.99/100rounds at WalMart) will deliver tip-top accuracy from your Henry.

Ammo lots will vary, but the most accurate .22 ammo I've run into lately is Wolf brand Match Target. Better than Eley Match in my rifle, IMO. It isn't cheap, either.
    500 Rds. Wolf .22 - Caliber Lr Match Target Ammo - 500935, .22 at Sportsman's Guide

Don't laugh. This is high-quality German-made match ammo - not the filthy centerfire Wolf-brand Russian-made ammo you see with the steel cases.
    gearchecker likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1014 times
    It looks like I will be buying several different brands and doing some testing. Thank you for giving me some places to start.

But one other question. I am very new to shooting, and have learned that POA and POI differ with my .357s with different bullet weights (learned from forums like this, and confirmed by practice - I'm a "have to see it for myself" kind of person). Is that typically a factor in a 22 rifle? It doesn't seem like it should, but to be honest I was skeptical about the difference with the revolvers.

Links