+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gearchecker

Thread: best place to buy bulk .40 cal target rounds?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question best place to buy bulk .40 cal target rounds?

I am new to this and I know this has been talked about before . I just got my first hand gun. I got a s&w model 410 and I am looking to buy bulk ammo. Were is a good place to get it?

Thanks
    Jeremy

Member #
    Liked
    2907 times
    Cheaper than Dirt would be a place to look. Cabela's on sale could be good pricing. Midway USA would be another.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13036 times
    Welcome to the forum, You've got a good caliber to start your lifes lessons with handguns.

You should find a respectable shooting range and see about taking some handgun training and safety courses.
    Proper handgun training is worht 10 times or more what it'll cost you to go thru these courses. Proper handling is nothing to ever be taken lightly and should be practiced at all times with all guns. Proper gun storage is another lesson not to be left short.

Get plenty of ammo to start with, and narrow down the choices by learning what ammo you and the pistol handle well.

For ammo try these as well.
    Ammotogo, The Hunting Shack, or Sportsman's Warehouse when the ammo is on sale.
    The best way to but ammo if you're new to this, is buy a few different brands and bullet weights and shoot thru a box of them (50 rounds), slowly and deliberatly. Pay attention to how much recoil you get, how does the sound affect you (it's called a "Report"). And mostly how accurate does your gun shoot a particular ammo.
    For most shooters I'd recommend starting with Winchester Full Metal Jacketed ammo (FMJ) in the White box (WWB), Some Remington FMJ in their Green and white box. and some other brand of FMJ ammo. They should all be in a common bullet weight (165 gr. or so). You can get any of these at nearly every Sporting goods store and even at Walmart to start with.
    Once you find what ammo is best for you, your gun, and the practice sessions, seek out the same ammo in bulk.
    Bulk ammo is normally sold 500 rounds or more in a block purchase for handguns, and usually 100 rounds or more in rifle ammo.
    Once you found you're best range practice ammo, get some Hollow Point defense ammo and buy a box or so of different brands and do the same type of testing. Try Hornady Critical Defense, Speer Got Dot, Winchester Ranger and similar.
    Buffalo Bore is powerful and sometimes a bit much for early testing.
    The 40 cal has a very sharp report, and a pretty snappy recoil. Grasp your pistol firmly, but not so tightly as to turn your fingers white.
    Have a whole lot of fun getting used to your pistol, and practice till you're familiar with everything about your pistol.

Sportsman's Guide - Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear at The Sportsman's Guide?

Pistol Ammo : Ammunition To Go

Retail Ammunition | The Hunting Shack

Regards,
    Gearchecker
    USMC Snakedriver likes this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks gearchecker. I have been shooting for a while do decide on what I want. I do bird hunt so this is not my first gun. It's just my first pistol. Right now I am shooting federal champion 180 grain fmj. There resource is no recoil with this round. All my guns are locked up just to let you know as I have kids. I will be taking some training courses. Thanks for all your info.

Jeremy

Member #
    Liked
    7867 times
    I found the best place to get quality, well priced ammo is at my reloading bench. After all, you can't go to the range every day
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13036 times
    I'm so glad to hear from you that all is good. Experience does pay and safety is part of experience. when the children get old enough to take shooting you'll be able to teach them the same. The Federal Champions are a good choice for a solid practice ammo. you should be able to get it for a pretty good price in bulk. I personally recommend you go to all of the websites mentioned above and sign up to their Snail mail catalogs and e-mail notifications. You'll be surprised how good some ammo prices are once you start getting the e-mail offers that are only sent to the members. I recently bought a little more than 1,000 rounds of ammo for my AR-15 for $3.99/box of 20. And I got free shipping too. I don't shoot 40 cal yet, but now is the time that most retailers (internet and Brick & Morter stores) will be discounting at some of the best prices of the year so they can grab some new regular customers.

Keep us informed, and post at will, any time you drop by.
    Gregory
    Last edited by gearchecker; 01-01-2012 at 01:16 PM.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    Gander Mountain in West Knoxville had the 250 bulk-pak for $109.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Try Georgia Arms or Mastercast in Pa.

Member #
    Liked
    733 times
    SGAmmo.com. Excellent prices, very good on shipping rates, quick to ship too. I've used them many times.

Bill

Member #
    Liked
    11437 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azmick View Post
    I found the best place to get quality, well priced ammo is at my reloading bench. After all, you can't go to the range every day
    Mick ,

Can I stop by ?

thepollock

try this site also , a good place to start

AmmoEngine: .45-70 Government, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

Regards ,
    George
    First line of defense , my faithful Pit - don't mess with Mr. Kane !

Lovin' it here in N. Ga - I wasn't born here , but I got here as fast as I could .

Links