+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 357 & 38 spec

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

357 & 38 spec

Question from a newbie - ?Are there and revolvers that will fire both 38 & 357 cal ammo.

Member #
    Liked
    2887 times

Yes...

Any .357 revolver can fire .38 specials. There are perhaps hundreds of models which can do so. I believe there are a few semi automatic pistols, such as the Desert Eagle which can fire a .357. Not sure if the Desert Eagle can fire a .38, if it has enough energy to cycle the slide.

.38 special revolvers are limited to .38 and .38 +P rounds. They cannot chamber the longer .357.

Member #
    Liked
    696 times
    Ok I suspect someone is trying to be funny.But if you truly dont know. All revolvers chambered for a 357 magnum will fire 38 ammo.No 38 will fire 357 ammo.
    The 357 magnum is actualy just a 38 that is more powerful.
    The 357 casing is longer on purpose so it will not fit into a 38 revolver.
    If it would fit many people would load them up in a 38 and go blow there guns up.So the casings were made longer not to hold more powder but to make them idiot proof.
    Google up develoment of the smith and wesson registered magnum.It will explain in detail how and why the 357 magnum was developed and is very interesting.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thank you for the info0-wasnt tryin to be funny-just a new person in this realm
    again thks for the info

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1386 times
    Welcome to the forum billie, what model were you interested in?
    Let go of anything that stops you from having everything…DM

Dom

Member #
    Liked
    2776 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billle View Post
    again thks for the info

Welcome! Feel free to ask questions at any time, that is the only way you will learn.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billle View Post
    again thks for the info
    Welcome here!

I figured you posted a serious question because of newness to firearms.
    I can not abide useless people.

The only way Obama can become a bigger idiot is by gaining weight.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    you cant learn anything unless you ask questions.

Member #
    Liked
    7793 times
    Went out this morning with the 7 year old grand son and he shot a bunch of 38 spcl wadcutters out of my Model 28 357 mag revolver. The recoil is almost nonexistant in that gun and I believe he would still be out there shooting if I were to let him. The only ill effect would be the build up of bullet lead and lube in the cylinder that could cause some high pressure problems if it were not cleaned out before shooting .357s.
    You didn't mention it but in the same form, the 44 Magnum is just a long cased 44 special and that is a long cased 44 Russian. Same with the 32 S&W and the 32 H&R Magnum, and now the 327 Federal. And then there is the 45 Colt, the 454 Casull and the 460 S&W. The 'grand father' cartridges started out as black powder rounds and chambered in revolvers that were made to handle the relativly low pressures of black powder charges. With the advent of smokeless powders, heat treating cylinders and more modern metalergy and better mfging processes, the only safe way to increase the effectiveness of a round with out blowing up an older, inferior gun, was to make the case longer. Changing a case demension has also worked with the 30-06 (270, 280) and 308 case brothers (243, 260, 7-08)
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    696 times
    Billie when I read your post no one had answered it and I supected some one was trying to be funny. But I thought maybe you realy didnt know and felt compelled to answer you. I also steered you to read up on the registered magnum and it goes into great detail about the subject.
    You can also shoot 44 specials out of a 44 magnum for the same reasons and most people do out of both magnums when they are out target shooting.
    If your thinking of buying a smith and wesson and want to have both in one gun the 357 is the way to go.
    Model 19 versions are made on a smaller lighterframe called a k frame and were carried by a lot of law enforcement over the years. They can still be found pretty reasonable and there replacement the I frame 586 is a modern version with a little more weight but not significant.The model 60 is a small framed conceal carry type if thats what your looking for.But the model 60 is very small and light and recoil can be a nuicense to some people. The other options would be the big N frame model 28 and 27 versions that I prefer based off the orginal registered magnum I suggest you go read up on.There are stainless steel versions also and they are always a 6 prefix in the model number like a 586 in stainless in a 686 and a 19 is a model 66 in stainless etc.
    Your in a S&W forum so i suggested the smiths to you but there are other brands also that can be had cheaper some good some not so good.That can be like argueing fords and chevies though. But I think most would agree that colt S&W competitor or at least used to be are high quality but they are very pricey since they stopped making them.
    So the next I would say is ruger which dont share the spit and polish of a smith and wesson or Colt but are built like tanks very accurate and very reasonably priced
    This forum has people with knowledge on about any type firearm ever made. Its based on smith and wessons and that is the main focus but you can find imformation on any fire arm in here and it can be trusted.
    One of the main focus in this forum is some one can come in and ask a question and learn with solid imformation. But occasionaly in forums you get a joker who puts up a post as bait to get people to reply and get a laugh and I wasnt sure if your post was one of them.
    If you ever have a question about a fire arm and feel a little embarrassed to ask. Then you can just read a few threads and pick out some one in here who you think might have the knowledge to answer your question and send them a private message.It may take a while but most will answer few in here will ignore you.Believe me I have sent plenty and learned a lot in here in the past.
    Once again sorry if i came across wrong but there is nothing in your post that made me think for sure you were a new to firearms just says your a newbie. I have been around firearms my entire life and was a long ways from a newbie to firearms when I came here at age 51 but I was surely a newbie in here.

Links