PMC Eldorado Starfire???
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times

PMC Eldorado Starfire???

I just picked up a 20 round box of the .38spl+p 125 grain stuff for $11.98. Never seen this before, but it looks pretty mean. Anyone seen these (i'm sure someone has), or is it a discontinued item?? I can't find a whole lotta info on 'em.
    Chris

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."
    -Christopher Columbus

Member #
    Liked
    308 times

Re: PMC Eldorado Starfire???

PMC is out of business, so that is a discontinued item.

I think that they were PMC's answer to the evil Winchester Black Talons - very similar, and they may actually have been manufactured by the same outfit. I don't particularly want to get shot with a FMJ, but I'd really hate to get shot with one of those things.

xtm

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4529 times

I've shot some of that before. It went where it was pointed, etc. That is about all I can say about it. I didn't test it at all. I asked the same questions and I was told it's technology had been surpassed by the Gold Dots, XTP's, etc.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

The bullet was designed by the same gentleman who came up with the hydrashok. Back in the days when I was editing Trail's End magazine (to show how long ago that was, I didn't know PMC was out of business), PMC was one of our sponsors, and I used a lot of it in firearms testing. It always shot well, right in there with the rest of the big boys. However, I never shot anything except paper with it, so I can't testify on terminal ballistics.
    Parson Colt, the preacher's kid
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.” Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Member #
    Liked
    308 times

I need to 'fess up to being wrong about PMC being out of business. A while back, I read somewhere that they sold off their U.S. brass-making equipment to Jamison and others - and just assumed that they were headed out of business. Seems they are running full-swing in S. Korea - with no production facilities in the US at this time. Sorry!

Starfire is still offered by them:
    http://www.pmcammo.com/catalog.html

xtm

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Hey F150...way to support the S. Korea economy...
    Seriously, I've never even heard of this before..I must be out of t his loop too...you should post some pics of one of these little beauties.

Member #
    Liked
    95 times

Here's a link to the PMC Starfire Line.... http://www.pmcammo.com/starfire.html

I have several boxes of Starfire in 10mm from my days of carrying a 1066.

Pretty snappy to shoot, second only (as I recall) to the Norma 170 grn JHP's in percieved recoil....

Staring down that Hollow Point is like peering into a Saw Mill...

Viscious looking stuff.... but then again in those Pre-PC days you could get these as well....

Note the "Pingrabber", 4th from the right....

The infamous "Jacketed Claw"....

And what is beleived to be a permutation of Jim Cirillo's "Manstopper".

As market-efective as these lurid as these names were, I'm sure to call your ammo such today would invite a bushel basket of lawsuits.....
    ".... Evil Flourishes When Good Men Do Nothing...."

Member #
    Liked
    5667 times

NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

xtm, no harm done. I'm glad to know they're still around. They do produced a good product.
    Parson Colt, the preacher's kid
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.” Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I have several boxes of the Starfire rounds in multiple calibers. I had always heard it was a derivative of the Black Talon. I have never read anything on terminal ballistics on them however. As for PMC ammo, I always liked the stuff. It was cheaper than Federal, Win, and Rem but seemed to be just as reliable and performed well. I shot PMC ammo in my .308 using BarnesX bullets. I always loved those rounds, as they were pretty consistently accurate and pretty much retained 100% of the bullet weight. I don't think you can go wrong with the Starfires.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links