Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: .38 Special 200gr. LRNs and LFNs

Member #
    Liked
    305 times

.38 Special 200gr. LRNs and LFNs

This is a historical ammo posting.

I'm wondering why the once popular .38 Special load with the 200gr. LRNs and LFNs disappeared from the lineup of available options. (?) All of the ammunition manufacturers offered either a 200gr. RN or a 200gr FN, and it was the standard "police" load of the day. Charlie Askins, Bill Jordan, and others who had first-hand knowledge of the terminal ballistics of this load felt that it had the best stopping-power of any other factory .38 Special loading of the day - especially when used in snubs.

Here is a photo of one of the W-W loadings. They also offered a "Lubaloy" copper-plated version. The R-P 200gr. bullet had a flatter nose. Just look at how long that big bullet is - from the tip of the nose to the cannelure on the case!

I realize that modern JHPs will open up at .38 Special velocities, but this was a great load with proven knock-down power.

xtm

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Re: .38 Special 200gr. LRNs and LFNs

I have some of the White box WW stuff. Its fun to shoot but really shoots much higher than POA.

I think it would be more effective if it was a flat nose or SWC style rather than the round nose though.

:think:
    Give me a Scotch, I'm starving!

Member #
    Liked
    4667 times

I have to respectfully disagree with one remark.

I started my law enforcement career in 1970 and the 158 gr. RNL was "the duty round" of the day not the 200 gr. "Super Police" as some suppose.

But like the .41 mag of today the 200 gr. Super Police had it's following "back in the day". In my agency of 300 members, there were only two officers that carried it and they swore by it.

Magnus Bullets, http://www.magnusbullets.com still sells a .357 sized hard cast 200 gr. RNL bullet for reloading in the .38/.357.

It's No. 507 in their catalog, and 500 rds. sells for $45.89+ shipping.

It would be interesting to see someone work up some self defense loads with this baby...
    Oldgungeezer likes this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    305 times

Moondawg,

I figured that 200gr. bullet was unavailable unless you had a mould!

Good to see that it's still available to non-casters, and ditto on what you said about self-defense loads with this big bullet.

My mind tells me that a SD load with a soft lead version of this would be excellent in a snub .38 - probably better than a lightweight JHP.

xtm

Member #
    Liked
    3186 times

I used to buy 158gr. LSWC reloads for my .38 spls. I haven't seen them around in gunshops anymore. I really like this load. They were considerably cheaper than factory ammo at WALMART prices. They shot to POA at 25 yds., and cut clean holes in targets. They also promised good deep penetration for critters. I dislike the RN ammo. What is it good for.....absolutely nuttin'!!!! Doesn't even make good holes in paper. Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    4667 times

You can still order factory loaded .38 Spl. LSWC's from www.zerobullets.com

I bought two cases last year and am very pleased with their performance.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    3186 times

Moondawg, Not in Massatwochits, my friend!!!! Can't get ammo thru the mail in this stupid state. Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    4667 times

Not in Massatwochits, my friend!!!! Can't get ammo thru the mail in this stupid state.
    Then have it sent UPS or FED EX...
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

I've always liked that 200 grain ammo. As a kid I haunted Frank's Sport Shop in Decatur, Illinois. They were open late on Thursdays, so my Dad would take me every week. Old Frank liked me, and once he showed me the gun his wife kept handy in the store. It was a six inch K-38, and I still remember him gently opening the cylinder and dropping six of those big blunt 200 grainers into his palm. He told me they were "Super Police" rounds, and better than any .357 magnum round available.

He then dropped them one by one back into the cylinder. As he closed it up he said (wistfully) - "Just let some (insert appropriate 1971 racial epithet here) try to take my wife in the back room". Well that got my attention - I wasn't supposed to say that word, and I wasn't completely sure what the whole back room thing meant, but that feeling and the sight of those big grey slugs have been forever linked in my memory.

Member #
    Liked
    305 times

Welcome to the S&W Forum Sig! Glad to have you here!

Nobody has answered my question as to why the 200gr LRN disappeared from the .38 Special load options of all the ammo manufacturers! It was a popular load back in the day, and a heckuva lot more effective than the 158gr. LRNs you still see around everywhere. One day you could buy 'em anywhere and then they just disappeared from the shelves. Nearly everyone seems to have shifted over to buying lightweight JHPs instead, and until recent years, none of them would mushroom to a significantly larger diameter at .38 Special velocities. You had JHPs that behaved like FMJs!

xtm

Links